Skip to main content

I have old green card with no expiration date now I'm out of country over 13 years can i still travel with same green card ?

Bronx, NY |
Filed under: Green cards

what should i do can i travel with same old green card to USA?

Attorney Answers 4


No you cannot travel with this card and be admitted to the US. You have abandoned your status and will need to re-apply.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


I agree with Mr. Murphy. Your stay outside the U. S. for more than a year should result in the loss of status. An attempt to enter the U. S. can create a mess, even an indefinite ban on entry if you are caught lying.

I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a competent and experienced immigration attorney. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


You'll be deemed to have abandoned your LPR status and will need to reapply.

(626) 771-1078 Los Angeles Attorney Theodore Huang, Esq. This is not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is established. Attorney Huang is licensed in MD; practice limited to federal law.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


A 13 year absence from the US will almost assuredly be deemed an abandonment of residence. If you attempt to enter by lying about your time abroad, you will cause yourself untold problems. Consult with an attorney about applying again for residence.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics