I have not filed income taxes for the past three years. Who can I work with, besides the IRS, to get my past taxes sorted out ,

Asked almost 2 years ago - Bloomington, IL

My wife and I filed Chapt 7 bankruptcy in 2010. My practice went out as a result of the economic turn-down. We lost our house in 2011. I didn't have the money my accountant said I owed for my 2009 taxes and didn't file. The next couple of years I have worked contract in several different places and we have moved a couple of times as well. I have wanted to get this sorted because I now have a permanent position and we are once again stable in our living situation although my wife is noe ill.

1. Evan A Nielsen

9

Answered . Sounds like you've had quite a journey. Glad things are now looking up but sorry to hear about your wife's illness. I believe your best bet is to sit down with a tax preparer (attorney of CPA would be best, cost is usually about the same in our experience) with all the information for 2009 and forward and get the situation sorted out. From your description, it sounds like there are several moving parts and also some potential past taxes that may be owed (which also means potential penalties and interest) so use a professional. Keep in mind that there are also a number of possibilities that could help to reduce, or even eliminate your tax liability from 2009 and forward. Too much detail for this forum but would be glad to discuss further if you'd like. And do it now, the longer you wait, the more difficult the task is and any penalties and interest will just increase, making the problem worse.

Good luck!

2. John Adam Wetenkamp

6

Answered . You should meet with an experienced tax resolution attorney as soon as possible. It will be important to have a tax professional in place to protect your interests once these returns are filed and assessed. Many offer a free consultation and flat fees.

3. Marcos P Martinez

4

Answered . You should definitely sit down with a Tax attorney. There is a lot of potential liability that an experience tax attorney can help you navigate.

4. Raymond F. Haselman

4

Answered . Even if you owe the IRS money for past years, it is better to file your return asap rather than wait. Seek a professional, not someone in a place advertizing tax returns with big refunds, to complete your back taxes and deal with the IRS. An attorney, CPA or EA would save you money and problems in the long run.

5. Christopher Michael Larson

1

Answered . Sit down with a local tax attorney. Do not trust one of those hucksters on TV or that send you things in the mail.

Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    Tax Lawyer
    Tax Lawyer - Bellevue
    Tax Lawyer - Everett
    Tax Attorney - Des Moines
    Tax Attorney - Issaquah
    Tacoma IRS Contact
    Seattle Tax Attorney
    Bellevue Tax Attorney
    Everett Tax Attorney
    Bellevue Estate Planning Attorney
    Bellevue Bankruptcy Attorney