I have not been arrested since 2007 it is now 2013 , I would like to get a pardon on my record.

Asked over 1 year ago - Danbury, CT

I am now a Pastor and I would Like to go to the jails to minister to people who are in jail like I was, but I know that with my record I would not be able to pass a background check to gain access to the prison. Please advise me on the process that it will take to make this happen.

1. Christopher Thomas DeMatteo

Pro

1

Answered . Your eligibility depends on the type and date of convictions. A person is eligible for a pardon five years from the date of the last felony conviction and three years from the date of the last misdemeanor conviction. The process is a written application to the Board of Pardons and Paroles and then, if the board requires, a hearing. Pardons are discretionary decisions. Feel free to e-mail me to further discuss your issues.

2. Brian S Karpe

1

Answered . I agree with Atty DeMatteo. There are restrictions. The process is also quite involved. I recommend the assistance of an atty to help you through the process.

Also, as Atty DeMatteo points out, the decision by the board is purely discretionary and there are no guarantees even if you retain an attorney. Given your comment that you would not be able to gain access with your record, the battle is probably up a steep hill. That is why retaining an attorney is a better decision than trying to go it alone.

3. John Paul Thygerson

Pro

Answered . As previously stated it all depends upon the date of conviction and the offense you were convicted of. I have handled a number of these and will tell you candidly that even if you were convicted of a misdemeanor in 2007, in all likelihood, not enough time has elapsed for the board to look favorably upon a pardon request. Now this doesn't mean it is not possible but the application is a bear and if you want even the slightest chance of success you will need the assistance of an attorney to properly frame and put together the entire application for you.