Skip to main content

I have no monetary means to have a lawyer to represent on my divorce. Can I have a fair trial in court by representing myself?

Henderson, NV |

My spouse filed for divorce I have custody of my three kids. My spouse is employed and has representation. Retired military and works as a paramedic. Court ordered for him to pay monthly and does not pay the full amount and I'm unemployed and married to him for 19 yrs.

Attorney Answers 3


The odds are not in your favor. If you represent yourself you are presumed to have the same knowledge an attorney would possess. Getting documents admitted into evidence or questioning a witness can be very challenging if you do not know how to properly do so.

I would suggest checking with a pro bono agency or legal aid society to see if you qualify for assistance.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Very unlikely. Look for an unbundled attorney to at least settle the case. You will probably need to make some pretty big concessions.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Note that the Family Support Division of the District Attorney's office can assist you on the child support portion at virtually no cost to you

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics