I have no monetary means to have a lawyer to represent on my divorce. Can I have a fair trial in court by representing myself?

Asked 12 months ago - Henderson, NV

My spouse filed for divorce I have custody of my three kids. My spouse is employed and has representation. Retired military and works as a paramedic. Court ordered for him to pay monthly and does not pay the full amount and I'm unemployed and married to him for 19 yrs.

1. Richard Edmund Hawkins

Pro

2

Answered . Note that the Family Support Division of the District Attorney's office can assist you on the child support portion at virtually no cost to you

2. Travis Alan Van Winkle

3

Answered . The odds are not in your favor. If you represent yourself you are presumed to have the same knowledge an attorney would possess. Getting documents admitted into evidence or questioning a witness can be very challenging if you do not know how to properly do so.

I would suggest checking with a pro bono agency or legal aid society to see if you qualify for assistance.

3. Thomas D. Boley

1

Answered . Very unlikely. Look for an unbundled attorney to at least settle the case. You will probably need to make some pretty big concessions.