I have no lawyer for my preliminary hearing monday morning. i dont have the money...what do i plea

Ephrata, PA |

this is my 3rd retail in a year. the first was a felony 850 and i went to jail. the second was a summary n now this one i was caught stealing 27.00 worth. what do i say in court.

You need to apply for a public defender. You should not be doing it on your own

i figured that thank you. the preliminary is monday do i just show up and ask for the haring to be postponed till i get a lawyer. i really wasnt given alot of time.

Appear at the preliminary hearing and request a continuance so that you can apply to the public defender. Do not try to do this alone without representation.

You need not plea at a preliminary hearing. Retain an attorney, if you cannot afford one request a public defender

All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. Without the benefit a personal consultation to exploe all of the facts of your legal problem, the information in this posting may be inaccurate and for that reason it should not be relied upon. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.

thank you everyone

You should get a public defender

Answers are not of fact, but rather the opinion of the attorney answering the questions asked. At no time does this answer create an attorney-client relationship. To the extent that these answers may become available to the general public there is no confidentiality as it pertains to this answer or question. The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. Prior to acting based upon this general information you SHOULD seek legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of the attorneys from Legalphilly.com. The Lawyer answering this question does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. Attorney is Licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey. If you have any questions please contact my office at 215-564-1010. Lawyer Michael Kotik | www.LegalPhilly.com | 1500 John F. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 220. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 19102

I agree with the advice regarding the public defender. However, the Court will likely deny or at least admonish you for the request. In Lancaster County, the MDJ's office sends out a very specific notice regarding the importance of obtaining counsel within 72 hours after receiving notice. If you failed to do so prior to the preliminary hearing, the Court will not be happy.

You do not plead at a preliminary hearing. A preliminary hearing is for the purpose of determining a prima facie case. For retail theft, the Court must find some evidence that you took merchandise from a retail store without paying. This does not equate to a finding of guilt. There are a number of defenses or alternatives that may be available at the Court of Common Pleas.

Regardless of the outcome of the preliminary hearing, you MUST obtain counsel at the Court of Common Pleas. The new rules of the Lancaster County Court of Common Pleas are difficult enough for the lawyers to understand, proceeding on your own would be substantially detrimental. You will need to go to the Bail Administration office on the third floor of the Courthouse to apply.

Thank you. I did interview lawyers but all were out of my reach. I guess i go to hearing and keep my mouth shut. Will be applying for public defender.

You should request a public defender and ask that the hearing be continued. The judge may give you some grief for not doing this sooner, but don't let that discourage you. In PA, a third retail theft, regardless of the amount involved, is a third-degree felony. You need representation.

If you can't afford to hire an attorney you need to apply for a public defender before you go to your preliminary hearing. If this is your 3rd retail theft in a year you could be looking at serious consequences if found guilty again. You need an experienced criminal defense attorney to assist you at every stage of court.