I HAVE NO FAITH IN THE JUSTICE SYSTEM, MY DOG HAS BEEN MISSING SINCE FEB.20 AND I KNOW WHO FOUND HIM AND THEY CAN'T EVEN HELP Y?

Wood River, IL |

MY MALTI-POM HAS BEEN MISSING AND NO SITE OF HIM. A BLOCK FROM MY HOME WAS A FLYER STATING TWO LADIES FOUND A LITTLE SMALL GRAY DOG. MY CHOWDER IS 5.5LBS AND HE IS GRAY, SO I CALL THE NUMBER AND THE LADY WAS RUDE AND WOULDN'T TALK TO ME SO I TEXT HER AND STILL NOTHING. I WAS CLUELESS. SHE WENT TO POLICE AND TRIED GETTING ME FOR HARASSMENT. JUST CRAZY I TELL YA. WELL I REPORT MY DOG STOLEN GIVE POLICE ALL THE INFO AND COME TO FIND OUT IF THE LADY DOESN'T WANT TO COOPERATE SHE DIDN'T HAVE TO....WELL SHE SAID SHE GAVE THE DOG AWAY AND SHE DIDN'T SAY TO WHO SO I DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW SHE CAN GET A WAY WITH THIS...SHE KNOWS WHERE MY CHOWDER IS AND THE COPS WON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT... I CAN PULL OUT MY HAIR OVER THIS ITS NOT FAIR HE IS LIKE A CHILD TO US....WE MISS HIM LIKE CRAZY ANY ADVICE??

1. Use the evidence you have to sue for conversion in small claims court. You had better have solid admissible evidence rather than just conclusions, though.

2. You can hire a lawyer to investigate and file a lawsuit to get your dog back if he/she is able to determine where the dog is.

Though we strive to provide accurate legal information in our answers on AVVO, our answer should not be construed as legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Our firm only forms attorney-client relationships by written agreement signed by both our firm and the client. Please seek an in-person consultation with an attorney immediately as almost all legal matters are time sensitive and failing to meet deadlines can result in adverse consequences.

3. First of all, is your dog chipped? If so, ownership will be proven once the dog is located. You need to insist that the police follow up on the leads you provide. Speak to the watch commander, the lieutenant or the chief. Go to the local press and ask them to help you. You can hire a lawyer to helping you along. The suggestion of a lawsuit is good but you will have a hard time proving the woman has/had you dogs unless you have more facts that provided here. Best wishes on getting your dog back.

Although AVVO describes this site as providing free legal advice, it is really a simple Q&A forum. The volunteer attorneys provide general answers. No specific legal advice is given here and no attorney-client relationship is established. For precise direction and legal advice, please consult in person with an attorney in your area. Be sure to bring all relevant paperwork with you.