I have no assets, barely make enough to live and am in a custody battle that has gone on for 6 years. How do I hire an attorney

Asked about 1 year ago - Lomita, CA

I have no money for an attorney and it has resulted in him getting the property of any value in the divorce and custody of the children. There are serious issues of parental alienation and he has violated the court order on several occasions but the judge doesn't seem to care. Is there any way that I can hire an attorney with no money? Can't he be asked to pay for attorney's fees?

1. Talitha Davies Wegner

Pro

4

Answered . There are several pro bono organizations that can help. Harriet Buhai is one. You have not provided enough information about why he got custody and all the property. That is not in keeping with the law unless there is some justification that caused the judge to make these decisions. Consult with one of the pro bono clinics or with an attorney who can give you an evaluation at no charge.

2. Lisa Henderson Mattern

Pro

2

Answered . This is not a criminal defense question. Perhaps you would have more luck posting this in the family law section. Good luck.

3. Gregory Paul Benton

1

Answered . He could be required to pay for attorney fees if indeed he has the income and there are assets in the estate that could be liquidated to pay for attorney fees. Is there a legal aid foundation in your area that could help?