I have no assets, barely make enough to live and am in a custody battle that has gone on for 6 years. How do I hire an attorney

Asked about 1 year ago - Lomita, CA

I have no money for an attorney and it has resulted in him getting the property of any value in the divorce and custody of the children. There are serious issues of parental alienation and he has violated the court order on several occasions but the judge doesn't seem to care. Is there any way that I can hire an attorney with no money? Can't he be asked to pay for attorney's fees?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Talitha Davies Wegner


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are several pro bono organizations that can help. Harriet Buhai is one. You have not provided enough information about why he got custody and all the property. That is not in keeping with the law unless there is some justification that caused the judge to make these decisions. Consult with one of the pro bono clinics or with an attorney who can give you an evaluation at no charge.

    This post and any other internet postings are for informational purposes only. Internet postings are not legal... more
  2. Lisa Henderson Mattern


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This is not a criminal defense question. Perhaps you would have more luck posting this in the family law section. Good luck.

  3. Gregory Paul Benton

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . He could be required to pay for attorney fees if indeed he has the income and there are assets in the estate that could be liquidated to pay for attorney fees. Is there a legal aid foundation in your area that could help?

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Child Custody in a Divorce

Child custody may be physical or legal. Physical custody covers who the child lives with, and legal custody is the right to make decisions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,673 answers this week

2,990 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,673 answers this week

2,990 attorneys answering