I have never felt more sick and miserable in my life. Would I have a case worth while?

Boston, MA |

I was at a nightclub when one of the ceiling tiles fell on my head and scraped up my shoulder. I went to the doctors the next day and he sent me up for a CAT scan and diagnosed me with a concussion. I have never felt more sick and miserable in my life. I know the bar is liable but would I have a worthwhile claim? and if so, what could it possibly yield?

You need to gather all your medical records and speak to a personal injury attorney. Together you will decide whether you have sufficient damage to warrant a lawsuit. At the least, the club should offer to pay your medical bills.

Hi,

Sorry to hear about this. From the information you have provided, yes, it does seem to be a case worth pursuing. Unfortunately is not really possible to tell you what the case will yield. However, it seems to be a case.

Chris Earley
617 338 7400

Contact a personal injury attorney right away. Most work on contingency fee basis which means that the attorney takes a percentage of any verdict or settlement, and if he doesn't win you don't pay. In other words, don't worry if you can't afford an attorney, make sure you contact one anyway because it won't cost you anything upfront.

Atty: 845-704-7777. This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship. PLEASE REMEMBER: All claims and legal matters have statutes of limitations and/or other important time periods that apply to them. This means that you must take action on all claims or legal matters within the required time period(s) or your claims could be barred by the statute of limitations or dismissed. Contact our office or another competent attorney immediately to discuss the particular facts of any claim or legal issue you might have in order to learn what time periods apply to your particular situation.

Consult with a local MA personal injury attorney - many offer free consultations. You need to take care of your medical treatment, and if you don't have medical insurance an attorney can assist you with medical care via a lien. The facts sound like there is good liability & you injuries are severe enough to retain an attorney - DO so ASAP

This is not intended to be legal advise or as legal representation. I am a California personal injury attorney . Be aware that every state has its own statute of limitations; and statutes & case laws that govern the handling of these matters.

From the information provided it is hard to say whether you have a viable case or not. The falling tiles do not automatically make the club responsible for your injuries. More facts would be needed to establish whether the club or property owners were negligent in the maintenance or management of the property. Among other things it would be helpful to know the condition of the tiles and the surrounding area. In other word did the club owners know should they have known that the ceiling tiles were in a state of disrepair.

You should consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Mike Contant
Contant Law Offices, P.C.

Hi

You should immediately contact an attorney who is experienced in personal injury. It is too early to tell what kind of claim you have but if the club was aware or should have known there were loose tiles you may have a case. It is important to do this right away while evidence is still fresh. Good luck.

Steve Coren

This answer does not consitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The answer is based only on the facts presented. This answer is basd only on Massachusetts law.

A concussion is a traumatic brain injury and can be more serious than you may realize. It essentially alters the way your brain functions. You would want to retain a local brain injury lawyer to investigate the liability of the club, and work up this case with top experts to maximize your pecuniary recovery.

I concur with everything the other attorneys have posted. Your brief description suggests that the bar may have been negligent, however, your damages are impossible to predict now. Factors such as medical bills, lost wages, lost earning capacity, nature of injuries/symptoms, and length of disability will all help to determine the value of your claim. I strongly recommend that you consult with a Massachusetts attorney who focuses in personal injury claims to go over your case in more detail. Feel free to call me - I would welcome the opportunity to discuss your case.

Kathleen R. O'Toole is an attorney licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. All answers are based on Massachusetts law, and are for educational purposes. No attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question.

Value of case depends upon how strong a liability case you have, and your damages. There are mild concussions which clear up fst and completely, and there are more serious head/brain injuries that dont. It may be too soon to determine the full extent of your injury. getting the right treatment and testing is important. A good injury lawyer can help guide you on this.

A concussion can be a very serious injury. If the nightclub was negligent, you would be entitled to recover any damages flowing from that negligence, including related medical bills, lost earnings or and/or earning capacity, and pain and suffering, which from your description sound severe. The nightclub should have insurance to pay for such damages.
When did this incident occur? There is a statute of limitations which requires you to bring your case within a certain time period or your right to recover is lost. You should also make sure to follow up with any needed medical treatment so that you are seen to be making an effort to mitigate your damages as required.
My firm specializes in injury claims, and I would be happy to answer any questions you might have at no charge.
Good luck, and I hope your symptoms improve soon.

Nothing in this email is to be construed as legal advice, or as a solicitation to create an attorney/client relationship.

Based on the limited facts, you could have a worthwhile claim depending upon the extent of your injuries, the effects of the injury on your daily life activities, and your treatment. Get copies of your medical records and seek a local personal injury attorney who offers free consultations to discuss the details of your case futher. Good luck.

The above is general information only and is not legal advice. The information provided does not form an attorney-client relationship, and should not be relied upon to take or refrain from taking any action. I am not your attorney until we sign a retainer agreement.

From what you described you certainly seem to have a case against the nightclub that would be worth pursuing. It is premature, however, to be able to say what your case may, in your words, "yield". You should continue to seek and receive treatment for your injuries and the extent and duration of your symptoms and how it effects you will be the major factors in determining what you may end up obtaining by way of a settlement or court judgment. In the meantime, I suggest that you consult with an experienced personal injury attorney.

The most important thing is to make sure you get the best medical attention for your concussion. The good news is that most concussions resolve without significant permanent symptoms. Unfortunately there is a substantial minority that have permanent and persistent problems. Before considering a lawsuit you would want to have an idea of what the future holds. This could take up to a year (don't worry most concussions resolve before that). A very useful source of information about concussions is the U.S. Center for Disease Control at www.cdc.gov. They have several publications on concussions. You might also check the information on our firm's web site under the traumatic brain injury practice area at www.kdlaw.net. The most important thing is to focus on your recovery. There are statutes of limitation which set a limit on how long you have to bring a suit. In Massachusetts the statute of limitations is three years from the date of the accident, so if that's where this happened you have some time to figure it out. It probably would be a good idea to consult with a lawyer who can give you a more thorough evaluation of your potential case and give you accurate information on the precise statute of limitations deadlines. Good luck.

Yes, you have a claim. Worthwhile? The answer to that depends on your and your attorneys opinion and your injuries. Concussions can be serious injuries and sometimes take months or years for the injured party to fully heal. I would without question hire a qualified personal injury attorney to review you claim.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Recommended articles about Personal injury