I have neghbor who thinks he can travel through my private non maintained county road

Asked over 1 year ago - Bloomfield, NM

road goes north too south through farm sold south end of land which has its own access but this neghbor insists he can travel through

1. Michael T Millar

Pro

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . At least here in NJ, a road can be a private road or it can be county road - but it cannot be both.

If you have a private road on your property, then you have the right to exclude others from it.

If there is a county road that bisects your property, then you cannot exclude others from using a public roadway.

I am not a NM attorney, laws vary from state to state, therefore you should always consult a local attorney.

2. Stephen D Aarons

Answered . Pretty much the same here. The fact that the county is not maintaining its road doesn't chane the public nature of that road.i