I have my second pretrial hearing coming up . my husband and I cannot come to an agreement on custody of our children.

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooksville, FL

the case is very complex, however the girls should reside with me their mother. Their father is not capable of caring for them on a primary basis. Im being honest about that. The girls were placed temporary majority parenting time w him a year ago because I missed a court date I requested in the process of relocating. I have been waiting on the lawyer I hired to help sort my case out and file a motion for temp relief so that I could represent myself and get my girls back. The lawyer paid in full never did his job an now im left doing this myself. My children who are suppose to be with their father, till this is changed, have not been, they stay w his mother they both make it as hard as possible for me to see my children. we can not come to agreement. how do I get my children.help me prepar

1. William Charles Rosenfelt

Pro

1

Answered . This is not a forum/site where an attorney can walk you through what you have described yourself as complex family law litigation. Why is it that you say that the lawyer has not done his job? Do you have a fee agreement that outlines the legal services to be provided? Has your lawyer been paid in full?

It is nearly impossible for an attorney to assist a lay person "prepare" for trial and they certainly are not gong to do it without some sort of fee agreement that is very clear. I'm sorry that you have had such difficulty with the system but you have got to get an attorney on this case immediately or suffer the consequences. That is not to say that you can't do it yourself. Judges are typically lenient with lay people but you can't count on that. Especially if the other side has an attorney. I think that you need a game plan for getting an attorney. And, even though no one will help you prepare under these circumstances, you would need to meet with an attorney for hours likely just for that professional to get up to speed. You can't solve critical issues like custody trials with letters to a legal forum. I do not mean to be harsh one bit and I empathize with your situation but you need to take charge or you will not be putting yourself in a good position.

2. John Arthur Smitten

Answered . If the case is complex as you say and he has a lawyer then for sure you need to get a lawyer to finish the case.