I have my first two DUI convictions within the same year. Can my suspension time from the first, count toward the second?

Asked over 4 years ago - San Jose, CA

I have completed the first offenders program, and concurrently enrolled into the second offenders program. Will my license be suspended for another year? Under what circumstances can I appeal for a restricted? Does my judge have any influence in this matter? Since my license has already been suspended for the majority of 2009-2010, can I state it unreasonable for me to continue attain financial responsibility without even a restricted license?

1. Robert Laurens Driessen

Answered . Understand that your driver’s license suspension in under the jurisdiction of the DMV and not the court system in almost every instance. This means that you will have to work with the DMV on your suspension. It is unclear how the time line of your suspensions where but typical they would run concurrent (at the same time). Of course the suspension on your second DUI will last much longer than your first. The DMV typically will not grant a restricted license in your case until at least after 1 year of the CDL being suspended. The best advice is remember how miserable your current situation is the next time you think about driving after you drank. Things only get worse with each DUI you receive.

2. Jonathan Burton Blecher

Pro

Answered . The license suspensions should run concurrently with one another, though they will not end at the same time.