I have multiple complaints of malpractice against a lawyer. Is it better to take him to small claims court or file a grievance?

Lansing, MI |

I have a pretty strong case against my lawyer. Malpractice claims include: being given false legal information, not discussing fees with me, inconsistent billing (for the same work) and billing for work not done, and asking me not to contact him when he still has my paperwork. I have not paid him that much money ($1500), but would like at least that money returned to me. Would I have better luck filing a grievance or taking him to small claims court? Can I do both?

1. Potentially both. I would consult with an attorney that deals with Legal malpractice in your area to determine the best course of action.

I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

2. Both likely.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

3. You can certainly do both. Good luck.

My discussion with you regarding the question you posted on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is my response to your question to be considered legal advice. While I do my best to provide helpful responses given the factual scenario presented, proper analysis of any matter requires a more in-depth conversation than what is practical on Avvo. If you would like to discuss your matter further so that I may provide you with more specific advice, please take advantage of your free consultation by e-mailing me directly at mickey@mickeylarsonlaw.com or by calling me directly at (616) 606 - LAW-6 (5296). If you are a member of the military, or if an immediate family member of yours lost his or her life while fighting for our country, I am proud to offer you a 10% discount on my fee.

4. You may do both. However, your case won't stay in small claims court since I would expect the lawyer to remove the case to the general jurisdiction of the district court and probably make a jury demand.