I have multiple complaints of malpractice against a lawyer. Is it better to take him to small claims court or file a grievance?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lansing, MI

I have a pretty strong case against my lawyer. Malpractice claims include: being given false legal information, not discussing fees with me, inconsistent billing (for the same work) and billing for work not done, and asking me not to contact him when he still has my paperwork. I have not paid him that much money ($1500), but would like at least that money returned to me. Would I have better luck filing a grievance or taking him to small claims court? Can I do both?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Both likely.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  2. Ronald S. Pichlik

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . You may do both. However, your case won't stay in small claims court since I would expect the lawyer to remove the case to the general jurisdiction of the district court and probably make a jury demand.

  3. Sean Michael Patrick

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Potentially both. I would consult with an attorney that deals with Legal malpractice in your area to determine the best course of action.

    I am licensed in California, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or California law, which... more
  4. Mickey David Larson

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . You can certainly do both. Good luck.

    My discussion with you regarding the question you posted on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship,... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,945 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,945 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering