I have mediation on june 06 how do i get a court appointed lawyer for my mediation

Savannah, GA |

My court date is june 21 i live in savannah ga so i need a lawyer for custody rights on my 11 year old

1. You'll have to petition the court for it, but I've never heard of a court providing a free attorney for a mediation.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155. Our web address is: www. corbin-law-office.com. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

2. There is no right to court appointed counsel in civil cases in Georgia, but let me stress that you NEED a lawyer and you need to get one ASAP. A lawyer may well affect the outcome.

If you cannot afford counsel, you may be able to get a pro bono lawyer through:
    Georgia Legal Services Program
    Savannah Regional Office
    6602 Abercorn Street
    Suite 203
    Savannah, Georgia 31405

(912) 651-2180 or
    1-888-220-8399

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

3. I agree with my colleagues below. There is no automatic right to counsel in civil cases, however some areas have attorneys do pro bono work to assist parties in your situation.

4. Unfortunately there is no right to an attorney in civil cases (and divorce/child custody is civil). You really should hire an attorney, especially since custody is at issue. If you can't afford an attorney, you can try to contact Georgia Legal Services at 1-800-255-0056. They are a non-profit in Savannah. They may not be able to help you, but might have some more resources for you.