I have lived in my apartment for 3 years and my landlord recently had his daughter move in, she refuses to be quiet after 9 PM

Asked almost 2 years ago - Salt Lake City, UT

Can I sue for moving cost's due to an uncontrollable tenant?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Peyton Hunley Robinson

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . No, that suit will not work. You might be able to get out of your lease though, but it might cost you more than moving costs. See -- http://www.utcourts.gov/howto/landlord/

    Under SL County's municipal code 15.32.050, a property owner must maintain the premise in a habitable condition, and there's a list of things that matter, but the daughter being quiet is not one of them. Sorry, but we've all had neighbors we do not like living nearby, but it does not provide a basis to sue. You may have to move to find peace. For the ordinance, you can see --
    Then browse to Title 15, part 32.
    Good luck.

    This answer or response should not be considered legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship.... more

Related Topics

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Landlord responsiblities

Landlord responsibilities for a property they rent out include keeping the property up to local and federal codes, general maintenance, and making repairs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,804 answers this week

3,349 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,804 answers this week

3,349 attorneys answering