I have Knowledge of a fraudulently filed bankruptcy

Asked about 2 years ago - Wheat Ridge, CO

I have knowledge of a fraudulently filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy filed by a former business associate who has Locked up over 100K worth of property we purchase when we were working together over a two year period. I found out he Never listed this property and is now demanding I pay him 60 thousand dollars in cash if I want to get any of my personal belongings back or the property of two restaurants who were storing there furniture there until they finished there renovation. He is also calling my customers and telling them I retired and he is the New owner. He also has my 50,000 set of snap-on tools in he personal garage and will not return them.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 10

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . For the US Trustee's web page about bankruptcy fraud, go to http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/fraud/index.htm Pay attention to the advisements.

    With what's at stake for you and your property, consulting first with an experienced bankruptcy attorney licensed to practice in your state may be a good idea.

    If you want to know more about the meaning of certain key words used in bankruptcy, see the federal courts' web site for a glossary of bankruptcy terms: http://www.uscourts.gov/Common/Glossary.aspx.

    My law firm is a federally designated debt relief agency and helps people in Colorado file for bankruptcy relief... more
  2. 9

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need a lawyer immediately. It appears that not only tens of thousands of property is at issue, but your ongoing business. It is not something to resolve on a general information website and it needs to be handled sooner and not later.

  3. 9

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As Mr. Hunt said, inform the office of the United States Trustee.

    If he is still in the Chapter 11, you should have an experienced bankruptcy attorney jump in on your behalf before dealing with the personal property.

    If he is not, then you still need civil legal assistance, and the police may be able to help recover your property.

Related Topics

Bankruptcy and small business

Small business bankruptcy options include Chapter 7, 11, and 13, and depend on the business structure and the amount of the debt(s).

Julio E Portilla

Recovering From Bankruptcy

Filing for bankruptcy is grueling enough, but when the dust has settled, your work has only begun. With your financial state stabilized for the time being, it is time to work hard to... more

Chapter 11 bankruptcy for businesses

Chapter 11 is the only kind of bankruptcy that allows a business to continue operating if it is owned by a partnership, corporation, or LLC.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

38,337 answers this week

3,958 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

38,337 answers this week

3,958 attorneys answering