Skip to main content

I have just received papers from an old car insurance company that I used to have coverage under and I am being sued.

Sacramento, CA |

I am being sued under rule 3.740 collections. I had been in a car accident when I was with this company but everything was settled and i never heard anything from them again. I am being sued out of nowhere and I am in need of a lawyer. I am not able to afford one at the moment and am looking for any advice or lawyer that is willing to help.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Contact the Sacramento or California Bar Associations to see if they have a pro bono or Volunteer Lawyer program that could assist you.

  2. The rule you cite governs collection cases for not paying your bills and can not have anything to do with liability for a car accident.

  3. Agree that you should look for a volunteer attorney.

  4. I would consider looking into the lawyer referral network of the Sacramento County Bar Association or the Volunteer Legal Services Program in Sacramento to help you with this issue. You will need to provide more facts regarding the circumstances surrounding this collections case.

    Please be advised that my responses to questions on Avvo are meant for informational purposes ONLY and do not create any type of attorney-client relationship or preserve any rights and statutes relating to the individual claim.

  5. You should contact the Community Legal Services Program at McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento. If you qualify financially they will provide free legal representation by law students who are supervised by lawyers/professors. If they can't help you, ask for a referral to someone who can. Good luck.

  6. Have a local pro bono lawyer investigate

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics