Skip to main content

I have just been charged with failure to register as a sex offender 1st offense.What's the maxium sentence I can gt in the stae

Port Orange, FL |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I am required by the state of outh Carolina to register as a sex offender.I moved to florida from Ohio because of work and didn't register with the city of Prot Orange.I am going to arraingment tomorrow and ewant to know if i should plead guilty or not.What is the max i can get if i plead guilty?

Attorney Answers 3


Failure to register is a 3rd degree felony punishable by up to 5 years in the state prison.

You should plead not guilty, hire or be appointed an attorney, and get discovery.

Notice of the necessity to register is a requirement for the state to find you guilty, so you should see exactly what the state has and provide some time for your attorney to negotiate with the State in terms of a possible negotiated disposition. Usually, for a first time offender, the benefit of the doubt is granted and a light sentence is offered, perhaps even probation or simply a time served. But be aware that a conviction for failure to register will mean any future failure will certainly have been under notice and you may not have a choice about some prison time.

Florida has strict, and ever changing, laws on registration. You must take care to be fully compliant to avoid a repeat of this experience. But, for this time, I would say you require the assistance of an attorney. Therefore, plead not guilty and hire or let the court appoint an attorney if you cannot afford one, and then work with them for the best resolution. Good luck.

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful


Failure to Register as a Sex Offender can be a difficult case to prove, as there are a few loopholes in the law that can only be removed after a "discussion" with law enforcement. I highly recommend that you not speak to anyone about this case, other than a local criminal defense attorney.

In a Failure to Register as a Sex Offender case, the State must prove that you failed to register within a certain amount of time, but that registration time can be delayed depending upon your living conditions/intentions/circumstances, much of which cannot be proved without ample testimony. Make sure you retain an excellent local attorney, DO NOT plea at arraignment tomorrow, hire an attorney asap!!!

Good Luck!

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


My colleagues are correct. Although these charges are normally difficult to defend (I have handled several), there are circumstances that can provide some basis to -- at a minimum -- put up a real fight. It is important that you not plead at arraignment, but have a defense attorney examine the potential for a legitimate and dedicated fight against the charge.

Derek Brett
The Brett Law Firm, P.A.
Orlando, Florida

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics