I have joint custody of my 4 yr old daughter. I plan to get involved with someone my ex wouldn't approve of. What can I do?

Asked about 2 years ago - Winona, MN

The person I'm getting back together with is the father of my oldest child and is currently in prison for serious bodily injury to a child. He will be released soon.

1. Maury Devereau Beaulier

2

Answered . The other parent may file a Motion seeking to restrict contact between the child and your new significant other. If the court finds that he is a danger to the child by virtue of his prior conviction, that contact may, in fact, be restricted. You would be wise to consult with an attorney.

2. Benjamin Josef Colburn

1

Answered . What you can do is re-think your choice to place all of your children and yourself at risk by bringing a known dangerous felon into your home. Your choice will almost certainly not reflect positively upon you.

Your choice may well also have far-reaching implications. Your may be giving your ex an opening for seeking to restrict your parenting time or to change custody. You may practically be inviting the County office of child protective services to get involved in your life and potentially remove your children from your home.

I find it very hard to see anything redeeming or positive about the decision you seem to have reached and I would strongly caution you to re-think exactly whose best interests you are placing as your top priority.

3. Virginia Giselle Alvarez

1

Answered . You should sit down with an attor ey ASAP. Further you should consider speaking to a counselor too. That is a serious charge especially to bring him back into a house with children. You may open yourself up to CPS scripting. Speak to an attorney