I have Identity Theft related tax charges, what can I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I received notice of intent to levy from IRS stating that I need to pay $206.21. I called IRS. IRS told me I am a victim of identity theft and this charge was sent to me by a mistake. Someone sent tax forms under my name.

I checked my credit report. I saw the tax lien notice (for $4500) from the State of California and it went through the court.

I called Franchise Tax Board Identity Theft department. I was advised to send proper documentation about it. I am now outside of the USA and not able to file a police report yet.
I will send the documentation to Franchise Tax Board and IRS indicating that these charge does not belong to me. Do I need to do anything else about this tax charge amount $4500 from State of California?Can Franchise Tax Board Identity Theft department remove this debt?

1. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . You need to send the documentation required to establish the identity theft. FTB can certainly remove this debt if it is not yours. It may be advisable to have an attorney help you with this. . .

2. Athina Karamanlis Powers

Pro

1

Answered . R u an American Citizen? Or a permanent resident. This is very important for the steps U need to take .
    I will advice U to hire an Attorney that is a Fraud Examiner and knows the procedures.

3. Gregory David Verdibello

Answered . In regard to the IRS identity theft issue, you should file Form 14039 Identity Theft Affidavit with the IRS. Someone from the IRS will contact you and will discuss the identity theft issue with you.