I have Identity Theft related tax charges, what can I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Francisco, CA

I received notice of intent to levy from IRS stating that I need to pay $206.21. I called IRS. IRS told me I am a victim of identity theft and this charge was sent to me by a mistake. Someone sent tax forms under my name.

I checked my credit report. I saw the tax lien notice (for $4500) from the State of California and it went through the court.

I called Franchise Tax Board Identity Theft department. I was advised to send proper documentation about it. I am now outside of the USA and not able to file a police report yet.
I will send the documentation to Franchise Tax Board and IRS indicating that these charge does not belong to me. Do I need to do anything else about this tax charge amount $4500 from State of California?Can Franchise Tax Board Identity Theft department remove this debt?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Anthony Michael Solis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You need to send the documentation required to establish the identity theft. FTB can certainly remove this debt if it is not yours. It may be advisable to have an attorney help you with this. . .

    No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT... more
  2. Athina Karamanlis Powers


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . R u an American Citizen? Or a permanent resident. This is very important for the steps U need to take .
    I will advice U to hire an Attorney that is a Fraud Examiner and knows the procedures.

    Disclaimer:Attorney and Fraud Examiner.One of few that are Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE). The information... more
  3. Gregory David Verdibello

    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . In regard to the IRS identity theft issue, you should file Form 14039 Identity Theft Affidavit with the IRS. Someone from the IRS will contact you and will discuss the identity theft issue with you.

    This material does not constitute tax, legal or accounting advice. It was not intended or written for use and... more

Related Topics

Criminal charges for theft

Theft is taking someone's property without his or her consent. Theft includes, but is not limited to, shoplifting, taking someone's mail, and stealing a car.

Criminal charges for identity theft

Identity theft is using another person's identity in person, by mail, over the phone, or on the internet, with the intent to obtain information or assets.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,153 answers this week

3,043 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,153 answers this week

3,043 attorneys answering