Skip to main content

I have I-485 pending more than 180 days. I want to switch my job. How can I find SOC code in 485 to ensure "same/similar" job?

Fremont, CA |

I am an engineer working with suppliers, I want to switch to a sourcing job, it's kind of similar but it's also a bit different, how can I find the job code associated with my I140/I485 (which has been pending for a long time) to ensure my new role would be "similar" job description and I will be ok in case of RFE.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Do you have a future employer in mind? Or, are you fishing around for possibilities?

    DOT/SOC codes are not all that easy to understand ... talk in private to the new company's immigration attorney ... or pay a private attorney for a confidential consultation if you're just doing research.

    Lastly, keep in mind that your current employer spent thousands and thousands of dollars on your paperwork ... be careful about 'jumping ship'. They could retaliate in several ways.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  2. The job description is mentioned in the PERM petition as well as the support letter that is filed with the 140

    Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.

  3. I agree with my colleagues.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Employment topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics