I have had my niece for over one year and would like to get custody of her to provide her insurance. What are my rights?

Sacramento, CA |

My stepsister has let me have my niece due to unsuitable living styles and environment that she lives in. My nieces father has not tried to find her or make any kind of contact with her for the last year and a half. I don't even know if he realizes she is not with her mother. My husband and myself would like custody of her so we can provide her our insurance and have the knowledge that her mother can not take her if she can't provide a safe and adequate home.

You can file a Petition for Guardianship. That way you can make "parental" decisions and cover her with medical insurance.

DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided solely for informational purposes only. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising. Liewen Law is fully compliant with every State and Federal Law, including California SB 94 and the related Civil Code Sections, as well as the FTC Mortgage Assistance Relief Services (MARS) Final Rule. Liewen Law is a debt relief agency helping consumers file for bankruptcy relief under the United States Bankruptcy Code. Liewen Law maintains this website for marketing and informational purposes only. None of the information or materials on this site is legal advice. Nothing on this or associated pages, documents, comments, answers, emails, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. Said information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While we make every effort to keep this site accurate and up to date, we do not guarantee its accuracy and are not responsible for inaccuracies, errors, or omissions.

File a guardianship petition. You will need the names and addresses of your niece's parents, siblings and grandparents (the court MIGHT let you continue without some of those names and addresses. )

For a more immediate solution, have an attorney help you get a caregiver's affidavit which can be done quick and cheap and which a insurer should honor and allow you to purchase insurance for your niece without a guardianship.

I agree with counsel, you should fle a petition for guardianship.

Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is fact specific, and it is not possible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and court pleadings filed in the case. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody