I have had My Green Card since 1990 and I wanted to become a U.S Citizen but I have a Criminal Record.Is that possible?

Asked over 1 year ago - Van Nuys, CA

I had in 1994 an account of At temped Murder in California and Assault with a deadly Weapon in Wisconsin . I was charge for them after I was try to defend Myself against My ex - spouse that would always hit Me

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Robert Laurens Driessen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You definitely need an experienced immigration attorney to assist you with this.

    Robert Driessen

    Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated... more
  2. Richard Scott Roth-Sterger

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . Do not take any action without an attorney!

  3. Kevin Lawrence Dixler


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. More information is needed. Were you convicted and/or pled guilty?

    I recommend an appointment with a competent and experienced immigration attorney before you file an application. It is unclear whether you can be disqualified or taken into custody, at an exam, for deportation. Good luck.

    This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,526 answers this week

3,161 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,526 answers this week

3,161 attorneys answering