I have had my criminal record expunged can i get a concealed weapon permit?

Asked over 1 year ago - Farwell, MI

I have had my criminal record expunged it was my first offense and committed the crime when i was 17 i am 39 know i was 23 when it was expunged if i am reading the law correctly i am eligible to get a concealed weapons permit if i understand the wording of the law.and i have never been in trouble seance

1. Randall M. Lewis

Answered . Depending on what the felony was that you were convicted of, you should be able to apply for a CCW permit. Certain felony convictions prohibit you from possessing, using, transporting, selling, purchasing, carrying, shipping, receiving, or distributing a firearm. If this applies to you, you can have your rights restored. You should contact an attorney to assist you with getting your firearm rights restored. The attached link should provide further information for you to review. Please feel free to contact my office if you have any further questions.

2. Matthew S. Abdo

Pro

Answered . This is an interesting question that I have done some research on. The general rule is that a felony conviction will bar you from getting a CPL in the State of Michigan. However, when a conviction is expunged it is as if it never occurred. I spoke to the Macomb County gun board recently and their policy seems to be case-by-case as it relates to convictions that have come off someone's record through a deferral (such a 771.1, 7694a, or HYTA). Honestly,I do not know how an expunged felony would affect your ability to carry. You have to sit before a panel before being granted a CPL and it may be possible to be denied depending on the type of felony that was committed. Truthfully I am not sure. What I would recommend is looking up the administration that handles this and giving them a call, I am sure they have dealt with this specific question before. Good luck.