I have greencard through Asylum. Now I want to travel to India & Some Europe Countries.. do i need to apply for re entry permit?

Asked about 1 year ago - Hayward, CA

I dont have money to apply for the re entry permit. I am a full time student and work only part time to pay my bills. I am not going back to my country but I want to use the Passport of that country because I dont have money to apply for re entry permit. could you please help me with that? thank you

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

7

Answered . I hope you did not get your asylum from India. If you did, it would be a one way trip to India. You can seek fee waiver if your financial situation is so dire.

2. Michael Hugh Carlin

5

Answered . I agree with Attorney Segal. You really should apply for the re-entry permit, and seek a fee waiver. You should not travel using your passport, because that is the country from which you obtained asylum.

3. Wendy Rebecca Barlow

4

Answered . You need to apply for a refugee travel document not a re-entry permit. You may be able to request a fee waiver. You should NOT travel with the passport issued by the country that you were granted asylum from by the U.S. government.

4. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Pro

2

Answered . The reentry permit is probably a safer bet for you than using your country's passport. If you have the funds to travel to India and some European countries, perhaps you can adjust your travel plans to free up the fee for the I-131.

5. Stephen D. Berman

2

Answered . It is not recommended to use your country's passport for travel if you are an asylee, but I do not believe that it invalidates your status or ends your permanent residence. Returning to your country would be much more serious, as would applying for a travel document from your country.