I have greencard through Asylum. Now I want to travel to India & Some Europe Countries.. do i need to apply for re entry permit?

Hayward, CA |
Filed under: Re-entry permit

I dont have money to apply for the re entry permit. I am a full time student and work only part time to pay my bills. I am not going back to my country but I want to use the Passport of that country because I dont have money to apply for re entry permit. could you please help me with that? thank you

I hope you did not get your asylum from India. If you did, it would be a one way trip to India. You can seek fee waiver if your financial situation is so dire.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

It is not recommended to use your country's passport for travel if you are an asylee, but I do not believe that it invalidates your status or ends your permanent residence. Returning to your country would be much more serious, as would applying for a travel document from your country.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

I agree with Attorney Segal. You really should apply for the re-entry permit, and seek a fee waiver. You should not travel using your passport, because that is the country from which you obtained asylum.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

The reentry permit is probably a safer bet for you than using your country's passport. If you have the funds to travel to India and some European countries, perhaps you can adjust your travel plans to free up the fee for the I-131.

You need to apply for a refugee travel document not a re-entry permit. You may be able to request a fee waiver. You should NOT travel with the passport issued by the country that you were granted asylum from by the U.S. government.

Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (866) 456-­8654, wendy@myatorneyusa.com, www.myattorneyusa.com. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.