Skip to main content

I have green card and live in NJ. I would like to adopt my niece, she is in Brazil. How can I do it?

Trenton, NJ |

My sister is in Brazil and can not take care of her daughter anymore. I would like to keep her in the family and give her a safe home.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. There is no easy answer to this question. I have done an inter-family adoption and immigration from Brazil. it was a complicated case and involved many steps and a long time. You will need to hire an immigration attorney here in the U.S., find one with Hague Convention adoption experience. You will also likely need to hire an attorney in Brazil. We have an attorney with our firm who is licensed in New Jersey, practices immigration law, and speaks Portuguese. 203-373-9080.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics