I have graduated from school and am now working for a large company who are going to sponsor my quest for a work visa.

Asked about 1 year ago - Newport, RI

Do I have to wait for April to apply for the lottery process or can this be processed right away?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 17

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are talking about an H-1B visa and the employer is not cap-exempt, they will have to wait until April 1st to submit you petition. Please see

    Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all... more
  2. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your company should file the H1B petition on April 01. The requested employment validity date will be October 01.

    You should be directing these questions to your company's attorney, who is compensated by the employer to answer these questions. if the attorney is completely non-responsive, bring it to your employer's attention.

  3. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The proper way to initiate that is to have the sponsoring company's immigration attorney review and analyze all necessary documents in order to advise you on your eligibility further.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general... more
  4. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Talk to the company's immigration lawyer.

    OPT might be a possibility

    They might be cap-exempt.

    Talk to the company's immigration lawyer.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

34,041 answers this week

3,762 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

34,041 answers this week

3,762 attorneys answering