I have full custody of my daughter her dad didnt return her after his visitation, child supp

Asked over 4 years ago - Houston, TX

Can he leagally make me pay child support? What do I do?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Marc Albert Pederson


    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Your question does not provide enough facts for a complete answer. If the dad simply fails to retrn the child, in violation of an existing court order, then you can petition the court for enforcement. If the "visitation" is simply an informal arrangement, with no court order in place, then you must file an action in court for custody, etc.

    If the dad is able to either obtain a court order giving him custody, or is able to modify an existing order to give him same, then yes, you could be ordered to pay child support.

    You should immediately consult with an experienced family law attorney in your area to determine your appropriate course of action.

    Good luck,

    Marc A. Pederson
    Attorney at Law

  2. Patricia Faye Bushman

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . If there is a Court order, then the court will help you get here back. If not, a court case needs to be started. Be aware that the longer you wait, the harder it will be to get her back. Call my office for a free consultation to discuss your options.

Related Topics

Visitation rights in child custody agreements

Child visitation refers to non-custodial parents' rights to visit their children. These rights are commonly detailed in a visitation plan.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,739 answers this week

3,369 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,739 answers this week

3,369 attorneys answering