I have filed for a divorce petition and my husband is refusing to sign,how much time will it take?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

I have filed for a divorce petition in Texas and my husband has received the petition in mail,he is refusing to sign and sending back to me, what is the next step I can take? and how much time will take ??

Note: we don't have any children and I'm not claiming for any thing.

1. William Tyler Moore Jr

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . If he won't sign the waiver, get him served with citation.

2. Theresa Cay Langford

1

Answered . I agree with Mr. Moore. Based upon the nature of your questions, I think you need a lawyer. Since there is no property or child of the marriage, your legal fees should be reasonable, and might be affordable through payments. Your best option for getting this accomplished is with assistance.

3. Mark Anthony Cohan

Pro

Answered . I agree with Attorney Langford. If you just want a divorce, you need to have a citation issued and serve him with process, whether it's through a constable or a private process server. Then you're going to have to either draft a decree yourself or use a form one. If he doesn't sign that, you're going to need to have a final divorce hearing and submit a proposed property division for the judge. People have a habit of showing up to those, even if they haven't done anything else in the divorce.

I'd strongly recommend consulting a local attorney. You've got a relatively simple divorce and a lot of younger lawyers will work with you and take payment plans.

4. Jacqueline R. Kriebel

Pro

Answered . Have him served with citiation either at home or at his workplace. Good luck!