Skip to main content

I have filed bankruptcy on my lawyer's fees and now he is of no help in my divorce case. What can i do? I have lost everything.

Louisville, KY |

My ex-wife had the court set a deadline for me to obtain my property and then prohibited me from the marital residence until the deadline passed and now believes herself to own EVERYTHING, including possessions that were mine before the marriage. My lawyer told me "what goes around comes around", meaning she will reap what she sows eventually. I do not have the money to hire another attorney. I am willing to give her all of the marital property, but things that were mine personally should be returned to me. My lawyer said they should be, but does nothing to help me get them back. What can I do at this point? He lawyer is charging her nothing, so she is willing to fight until I am forced financially to give up.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You really need to have representation in the divorce case. Check with the local bar association to see if you qualify for either pro bono or low bono legal representation. Either that or maybe you can work something out with your attorney so that he will continue to represent you. I wish I could offer you more than that. Good luck to you!

Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Unfortunately, lawyers have to pay their bills just like you do. If you qualify, there may be a legal aid service in your state that can help you. It sounds like you need legal assistance. However, unless your ex-wife has assets from which you could collect a judgment for damages, even a lawyer may not be able to help you.

This answer is posted for informational purposes only. I am not acting as your lawyer and could not do so in your state. It is not intended that you rely on the answer I have posted and you are not entitled to consider this as legal advice.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer