Skip to main content

I have filed a joint I-751 but my relation with my US citizen wife is not very good.

Chicago, IL |

I am living in different city then my wife due to my job. I am afraid that my wife will say something which can effect badly if an interview is called.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Well, if you do not live with your wife, that may raise some serious doubts as to weather your marriage is genuine. It is not the only factor they look at but if you claim you live together and you do not, then that is a big problem. You should hire an attorney asap. Denial of I-751 may have serious consequences including removal proceedings against the conditional resident.

    This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.

  2. This may be a big problem for you. Meet with an immigration attorney.

    Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. Consult with an immigration attorney immediately.

    This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

  4. Without any delay retain a very competent immigration counsel.

    DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. Respectfully, Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko, Chicago, Illinois

  5. I would suggest that you hire an Immigration Attorney to assist you. In my experience, prior to scheduling an interview, USCIS issues an RFE. If that happens in your case and the RFE response is well documented an interview may never be scheduled. In either case (RFE or interview), you will need the guidance of an Immigration attorney. Good Luck.

    This answer provides general information only. This answer does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

Marriage and prenups topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics