I have fallen behind in payments to rent a center. An officer came to my home and said they can have me arrested.

Asked over 1 year ago - Putney, VT

I have made over 1200 in payments to them and fell behind. I have tried to discuss options with them however what they want in late fees and back payment I can not afford. I do not know what to do to get out of this situation, can I be arrested??

Additional information

If they can have me arrested why didn't he just take me then??

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Lars A. Lundeen


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You cannot be arrested for a civil debt. I suggest that you consult with a debt counselor or an attorney who handles collection actions to determine your best defense or to work out a negotiated settlement of this issue.

    Legal Disclaimer:

    If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

    Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

    This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.
  2. Deborah Gwen Roher


    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . Although this is not my area of practice, I would say it's highly unlikely. You do face having the furniture removed from your home for failure to make continued rental payments; and if you obstruct the removal, I supposed there could be a charge of breach of peace. But failure to make rental payments or pay late fees is not a crime.

    If you do not let the company come into your home and they believe they are entitled to get the furniture, in most states there is a way for the company to go into court and get an order entitling them to take the furniture.

    Unfortunately, rent-to-own places cater to customers in financial difficulty; the payments and late charges are high and customers in your situation often do lose their money, because you don't acquire any ownership interest in the furniture until the final payment.

    Disclaimer: This site exists to provide information only. It is not legal advice. Answering your question does... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,306 answers this week

2,974 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,306 answers this week

2,974 attorneys answering