Skip to main content

I have entered the US with a B1/B2 visa; can i safely work part-time?

Brentwood, CA |

I have entered the US with a B1/B2 visa. Is it safe for me to find a part-time job or will it cause problems with the issue of intent?

Attorney Answers 4


Accepting any type of employment or work, be it par or full time, paid or unpaid, without USCIS authorization is a violation of the terms of your visitor's visa and renders you removable.

Nothing, however, forbids you from attending interviews with prospective employers. An intending employer will need to petition you for a non-immigrant work visa and you could apply for a change of status after at least 60 days after arrival into the US.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

5 lawyers agree


You cannot work while on the B1/B2, but you can do job interviews. If you find a potential employer, they will need to apply for a work authorized status for you. You will need to leave the US to have a visa stamped into your passport and then be admitted in that status.

Myron R. Morales, Attorney
Morales PLLC

This answer is not to be construed as legal advice. For a free telephone consultation, contact us now at: (512) 215-5235 Austin, (214) 377-4822 Dallas, (713) 242-1783 Houston, (210) 957-8845 San Antonio Please dial extension 500

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree


A B-1/B-2 visa does not permit you to work in the U.S.

Please click the link below for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

2 found this helpful

14 lawyers agree


Business travelers may enter the United States using a B1 'Visitor for Business' Visa. In practice these visas are invariably issued as jointly with B2 'Visitor for Pleasure' (i.e. Tourist) visa.
While in the US as a business visitor, an individual may:
• Conduct Negotiations
• Solicit sales or investment
• Discuss planned investment or purchases.
• Make investments or purchases
• Attend Meetings, and participate in them fully.
• Interview and hire staff.
• Conduct research.
The following activities require a working visa, and may not be carried out by business visitors:
• Running a business.
• Gainful employment.
• Payment by an organization within the US.
• Participating as a professional in entertainment or sporting events.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics