Skip to main content

I have entered the US as a lawful immigrant but need a travel document to accommodate international travel before reentry.

Santa Barbara, CA |

I am waiting to receive by mail my immigrant visa card. Therefore, I do not yet have the actual card and the associated A number. Can I apply for a reentry permit before I have in hand the actual card? The guidelines say I can apply for a 2-year reentry permit. Is that at the discretion of the interviewer?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You will need an A number in order to apply for a Re-Entry Permit.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Ashkan Emami

Ashkan Emami


Good answer


No you cannot.

Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.


If you are approved for permanent residence but have not received your green card yet, you can make an InfoPass and request your passport to be stamped as temporary evidence of your status. You A# is indicated on the I-485 filing receipt.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer