I have entered the US as a lawful immigrant but need a travel document to accommodate international travel before reentry.

I am waiting to receive by mail my immigrant visa card. Therefore, I do not yet have the actual card and the associated A number. Can I apply for a reentry permit before I have in hand the actual card? The guidelines say I can apply for a 2-year reentry permit. Is that at the discretion of the interviewer?

Santa Barbara, CA -

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Immigration Attorney - Los Angeles, CA

You will need an A number in order to apply for a Re-Entry Permit.

Christian Schmidt

Christian Schmidt

Immigration Attorney - San Francisco, CA

If you are approved for permanent residence but have not received your green card yet, you can make an InfoPass and request your passport to be stamped as temporary evidence of your status. You A# is indicated on the I-485 filing receipt.

Luis Alberto Guerra

Luis Alberto Guerra

Immigration Attorney - Fort Lauderdale, FL

No you cannot.