Skip to main content

I have durable power of attorney for my grandpa. He and I reside in the same house, with my brother.

Brooklyn, NY |

There is a temporary full order of protection for my brother for assaulting me. He is not allowed in the house. Can I legally evict him? He does not pay rent. Thete is no lease. He is a terror and I want him out.

Attorney Answers 1


It depends on what powers you were granted in the power of attorney. Assuming it gave you full power to conduct all of his affairs including real estate transactions you may evict your brother. Have an attorney review the poa to see of you have been granted that authority.

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete this e-mail and all copies and attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. IRS Circular 230 Notice: Unless specifically stated otherwise, any tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein. Unless specifically stated otherwise, this communication shall not be deemed to be legal or tax advice, and no attorney-client relationship shall be deemed to have been created.

Mark as helpful

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics