I have DACA (deferred action for childhood arrivals) and married my fiance who is an Army Soldier, How do i apply for residency?

Asked about 1 year ago - Charlotte, NC

How do i apply to become a resident? I have researched and learned about Parole in Place as well as Adjusting my Status. However, i did not come here legally. I came at the age of 9 illegally from mexico. What are my options to file for residency? Is parole in place definitely the way to go? we married in July after 5 years of dating & i plan to move with him in January. I can currently work under DACA, but i would like to proceed with my legal status. What steps do you suggest i take?

1. Rebekah Grafton

3

Answered . I would suggest you meet with an immigration attorney who can review all of your options and the risks with each of those options. You are unlikely to be eligible for a straight forward adjustment of status because you entered without a visa, unless you can arrange to be considered an arriving alien with parole. You may also consider pursuing a waiver of unlawful presence after receiving your immigrant visa. It's definitely something you should talk over with a knowledgeable immigration attorney who will also be able to help you navigate the process.

2. Shuting Chen

3

Answered . Parole in place or a waiver may be possible, but both are very complicated and your eligibility would depend on a number of factors. It might be helpful for you to reach out to the American Immigration Lawyers' Association's Military Assistance Program (AILA MAP), which offers assistance to families like yours: http://www.aila.org/content/default.aspx?docid=....

3. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

Answered . It may be possible to parole in place but it is more likely you will need to proceed with a provisional waiver and process at a US consulate outside the US. The is a possibility of a favorable change in the immigration if Comprehensive Immigration reform is enacted. Have a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney.