Skip to main content

I have court tomorrow, no representation. Court of Common Pleas in PA.

Reading, PA |

I know everyone would suggest representation, I'm 100% aware. The attorney that represented me in district court gave me a flat rate of $750.00 - when I requested a trial by peers he said due to the circumstances it would be $2,000 and I could not afford it, that was 2 weeks ago. I was expecting the funds I paid to go towards another lawyer and have not received it yet. I contacted the public defenders office Friday, didn't get a call back. Again Monday, got a voicemail from them at 2:51PM saying they close at 3:00PM due to the holidays. Obviously they were closed today for Christmas. My hearing is tomorrow. What are the chances I will get a continuance based on lack of representation. I don't want to rep. myself at all. Thanks everyone.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    I'm not sure what stage of the proceedings you're at in Common Pleas Court in Reading, but if it is a first listing pretrial conference tomorrow, you will likely get another pretrial conference date. A lot depends on the stage of your case. If you are at a trial stage, things could be different. Good luck.

    ║ Anthony Gil, Esq. ║ (215) 840-4704 ║ ║ ║ The answers I provide are not considered legal advice as this forum does not create an attorney client relationship. The short questions in this forum do not allow for full and competent legal advice. I advise you get an attorney in any case where you have contact with the legal system. Feel free to contact me via my website if you would like to have a consultation.

  2. Got to court, be early. Ask to speak to the prosecutor and/or the judge and politely, humbly tell them that you are indigent and request that a public defender be appointed if you qualify.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

  3. I think the court will be in a holiday spirit and grant you a continuance. The court cannot force you to have the case go forward without an attorney.

Professional ethics topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics