I have court tomorrow, no representation. Court of Common Pleas in PA.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Reading, PA

I know everyone would suggest representation, I'm 100% aware. The attorney that represented me in district court gave me a flat rate of $750.00 - when I requested a trial by peers he said due to the circumstances it would be $2,000 and I could not afford it, that was 2 weeks ago. I was expecting the funds I paid to go towards another lawyer and have not received it yet. I contacted the public defenders office Friday, didn't get a call back. Again Monday, got a voicemail from them at 2:51PM saying they close at 3:00PM due to the holidays. Obviously they were closed today for Christmas. My hearing is tomorrow. What are the chances I will get a continuance based on lack of representation. I don't want to rep. myself at all. Thanks everyone.

1. Anthony Gil

Pro

6

Best Answer

Answered . I'm not sure what stage of the proceedings you're at in Common Pleas Court in Reading, but if it is a first listing pretrial conference tomorrow, you will likely get another pretrial conference date. A lot depends on the stage of your case. If you are at a trial stage, things could be different. Good luck.

2. Frank Mascagni III

6

1

Answered . Got to court, be early. Ask to speak to the prosecutor and/or the judge and politely, humbly tell them that you are indigent and request that a public defender be appointed if you qualify.

3. Robert C. Keller

4

Answered . I think the court will be in a holiday spirit and grant you a continuance. The court cannot force you to have the case go forward without an attorney.