I have court on Friday for a commercial burglary offense. It was from the place I was previously working at.

Asked about 1 year ago - Dana Point, CA

Long story short, I was using my own purchased receipt codes and fraudulently returning items onto my card that I wasn't physically returning. I had no intent to do so and came to an agreement with the company on a way to pay them back and the amount and of course that I would be fired. they came to find the amount to be upper of $1,000 with one return that was not at my fault (long story and they know it.) They told me I wouldn't be arrested nor call the cops, but both happened. I just want to know what to expect. I had no intent and they lied to me, so I'm not sure whether that helps me at all. I am meeting with a lawyer tomorrow, but cannot afford one. I spent one night in jail and got bailed out as I had a bail of only $20,000. What should I expect as far as court and my charges?

1. Elliot Rahmim Zarabi

Pro

3

Answered . Possible Embezzlement charges and the Burglary Charge. Burglary is hard to prove because they need to show that you had intent prior to entering. You are also probably being charged with a felony, at minimum you want to reduce to charge to a misdemeanor.

I would suggest you speak to an attorney prior to going into court.

Elliot Zarabi
    www.FreeCriminalConsultation.com
    213-612-7720

2. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

3

Answered . Their promise to you (which was either a lie from the beginning or they reconsidered) of not getting arrested apparently didn't happen. From here, the police will submit their investigation reports to the District Attorney for review. The DA makes the decision on whether or not to file criminal charges.

The question will be whether the DA thinks they can prove some type of theft, embezzlement, access card fraud or other charges against you. That will depend on all the evidence, including any statements you may have made to anyone (your former employer or the police).

Most of the charges I listed are "wobblers" - they can be either felonies or misdemeanors. Whether they file felonies or misdemeanors depends on all the facts, the total dollar amount of loss, your prior record (if any) and what they see as the degree of sophistication to the offense(s).

If felonies are filed, you must appear in court. If you cannot afford an attorney (and you'll never know if you can or not until meeting to discuss the case, fees and any payment arrangements), you can request a public defender be appointed to represent you. If your case is filed as misdemeanors, an attorney you hire can appear in court for you without you having to attend. Otherwise, you'll have to show up and request a public defender at your first court date.

The outcome depends on all the facts and what your attorney can work out on your behalf... or whether they can even convict you based on the evidence they have.

3. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

3

Answered . There appears to be many alternatives to this issue. First and foremost is the dollar amount. If the amount remains +$1,000 then this case is a felony and not a misdemeanor. If it was a misdemeanor then there is the possibility of a civil compromise which would likely lead to a dismissal. If you are in Harbor Court then there is a possibility of diversion leading to a dismissal. BTW -- if you can afford bail, then it is likely you can afford an attorney so my suggestion is that since many attorney's offer a free consultation then you should contact many of them to determine which one best suits your needs. Moreover, don't wait until Wednesday because there still may be time to negotiate an end to this nightmare before Friday. Good luck.

www.YourCriminalDefenseLawyer.com
    for Fairness / for Your Freedom because sometimes good people get into bad situations
    (800) 409-7010