I have court in two days for non payment of rent. Do I still have time to talk to someone at court building if I go tomorrow?

Asked over 1 year ago - Smithtown, NY

I have to go to court for non - payment . I don't know if this is an illegal apartment or not . I was told it was by landlord but now I'm not sure because then why would he file for back payment . I did some research and I read that if a room / part of the rental was taken by landlord that the case would be dropped , he took my child's room . I also thought if it was illegal I wouldn't have to pay back rent . I offered him some money and public assistance but he did not want to help me get public assistance even though the money would be for him . We also agreed a couple of months ago that I would move out in the summer when my child finished school . There has also been many problems with apartment , no oven for over a year , no stove , mold , leaking , bugs . Can I get a free lawyer or is it too late ?

1. Matthew Scott Kam Tannenbaum

Pro

5

1

Answered . If the apt. Is illegal the courts will generally not allow continued occupancy. They also will not allow the LL to collect any further rent. When you get to court ask the judge you can speak to someone from Nassau-Suffolk law services. They usually have pro bono atty available to speak with and if you qualify they will also represent you. Good luck.