Skip to main content

I have court in two days for non payment of rent. Do I still have time to talk to someone at court building if I go tomorrow?

Smithtown, NY |

I have to go to court for non - payment . I don't know if this is an illegal apartment or not . I was told it was by landlord but now I'm not sure because then why would he file for back payment . I did some research and I read that if a room / part of the rental was taken by landlord that the case would be dropped , he took my child's room . I also thought if it was illegal I wouldn't have to pay back rent . I offered him some money and public assistance but he did not want to help me get public assistance even though the money would be for him . We also agreed a couple of months ago that I would move out in the summer when my child finished school . There has also been many problems with apartment , no oven for over a year , no stove , mold , leaking , bugs . Can I get a free lawyer or is it too late ?

Attorney Answers 1


If the apt. Is illegal the courts will generally not allow continued occupancy. They also will not allow the LL to collect any further rent. When you get to court ask the judge you can speak to someone from Nassau-Suffolk law services. They usually have pro bono atty available to speak with and if you qualify they will also represent you. Good luck.

When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on NY law as I am licensed in NY. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

5 lawyers agree

1 comment



I spoke to some one from suffolk law services and they said that it doesn't matter if it is an illegal apartment that I would have to pay back rent but everywhere I looked it said u dont??

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics