I have court date coming up due to back child support and on low income what are my options

Asked 10 months ago - Hampton, VA

Owe back child support have limited income what are my options

1. Kristina Marse Beavers

1

Answered . If you are ordered to pay child support, you must pay that amount until the court changes the amount. In order to have the amount changed, you must file a motion to amend the amount of child support.

If you have a court date regarding back child support, you cannot use that court hearing to have the ordered amount modified.

You should contact an attorney regarding the process and the possible outcomes at your trial date.

2. Trevor Daniel Anderson

Answered . I agree with my colleague. You can't use your upcoming hearing to petition for a change in circumstances. However, the more pressing issue is the fact that you could be facing harsh sanctions, even possible jail time if you are delinquent on your past due payments. You should consult an attorney who can both handle your petition for modification and defend you on your Show Cause.