Skip to main content

I have court date coming up due to back child support and on low income what are my options

Hampton, VA |

Owe back child support have limited income what are my options

Attorney Answers 2


If you are ordered to pay child support, you must pay that amount until the court changes the amount. In order to have the amount changed, you must file a motion to amend the amount of child support.

If you have a court date regarding back child support, you cannot use that court hearing to have the ordered amount modified.

You should contact an attorney regarding the process and the possible outcomes at your trial date.

Kristina Beavers, Attorney at Law is located in Yorktown, VA and can be contacted at 757-234-4650. The website at http:\\ may be able to provide additional information about your situation. I cannot give legal advice because there is no attorney-client relationship at this time. All I can provide is general legal information.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


I agree with my colleague. You can't use your upcoming hearing to petition for a change in circumstances. However, the more pressing issue is the fact that you could be facing harsh sanctions, even possible jail time if you are delinquent on your past due payments. You should consult an attorney who can both handle your petition for modification and defend you on your Show Cause.

This is not intended to be legal advice: it is for general informational or educational purposes only. For information and a free-consultation, regarding your case, feel free to contact our office at: 703.706.0075, email me at, or visit our website at and use our online contact form to submit a question or request an in-office consultation. We are located near the intersection of King St. and South Alfred St. in Old Town Alexandria, at: 113 South Alfred Street Alexandria, Virginia 22314

Mark as helpful

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics