I have completed all requirements of my conviction (DUI), including payment in full of my fines and court costs.

My probation period was to be five years. I still have two left. I would like to petition the court for early termination of my probation. However, I would like to do so without incurring additional attorney fees. Is there a way to file to paperwork myself? I know from experience that attorneys are not always necessary.

Kittanning, PA -

Forest Dean Morgan

Forest Dean Morgan

DUI / DWI Attorney - Hershey, PA

The fact that you are asking attorneys to provide free legal advice necessarily means that attorneys are necessary.

That being said, you may request this information directly from your probation officer. Provided that you have not had any probation violations and all fines and costs have been paid, they may be amenable to recommend an early termination.

Larry D Lamson

Larry D Lamson

DUI / DWI Attorney - Prince Frederick, MD

Yes. There is certainly a way to file for an early termination without hiring an attorney. You will need to see if the clerks office will assist with a form and that you send a copy of the request to the Prosecutor's office. Since you have two years remaining on your probation it would be worth your time to at least have a consultation with a local attorney on this issue.

Kelly W. Case

Kelly W. Case

DUI / DWI Attorney

You have a different experience. A top notch attorney is always a necessity when you are attempting to accomplish anything in court. I don't see many brain surgeon's operating on themselves, so it's probably not a good idea for someone to attempt to represent themselves in court either. Abraham Lincoln said . . . and there is good reason for it. As a Board Cdertified Criminal Lawyer, if I were charged with a crime, I would not even consider representing myself. I could not do the best job possible because I would be too emotionally involved and unable to see long term consequences, even with years of experience.

Do yourself a favor - hire a very good lawyer.

Adam D. Zucker

Adam D. Zucker

Criminal Defense Attorney - Conshohocken, PA

Contrary to some of the above advice the Clerk of Courts will not and is not permitted to assist you with forms or give any advice. Not to be smug but you can accopmplish this without an attorney but only if you know what you are doing. Its not just a simple form filing.

Adam D. Zucker

Adam D. Zucker