I have car title , now what?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

im closing a sale of me purchasing a car from a family friend. now that they have signed over the title to me, now what? do i have the car registered at the DMV? what is the next step to assure everything is my my name regarding license plates etc....

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Alan James Brinkmeier

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Register
    Get plates
    Notify Sec. of State on title
    Garage the car
    Get gas.

  2. Jeffrey Morris Jacobson

    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Contact your insurance company. Go over to secretary of state (dmv) and they will set everything up for you.

  3. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Get insurance for your new car. Take your paperwork to the nearest Secretary of State's office or currency exchange and get plates and see to the transfer of registration. You will probably have to show proof of insurance. Congratulations on your new purchase.

  4. Pamela Koslyn

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Is there an "as is" contract in writing that says they're not responsible for problems, or is there a warranty saying they are? It's not clear that you're even using a written contract here. What about a release of liability from them?

    See a business lawyer for help, since this is a big transaction.

    Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

32,077 answers this week

3,536 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

32,077 answers this week

3,536 attorneys answering