I have car title , now what?

Chicago, IL |

im closing a sale of me purchasing a car from a family friend. now that they have signed over the title to me, now what? do i have the car registered at the DMV? what is the next step to assure everything is my my name regarding license plates etc....

Register
Get plates
Notify Sec. of State on title
Insurance
Garage the car
Get gas.

am i suppose to get insurance first BEFORE i have the car registered? i was planning on not driving the vehicle till after, so there would be no risk of getting caught driving without insurance....thanks in advance

Is there an "as is" contract in writing that says they're not responsible for problems, or is there a warranty saying they are? It's not clear that you're even using a written contract here. What about a release of liability from them?

See a business lawyer for help, since this is a big transaction.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

ms. koslyn i have a written agreement which i signed AFTER i i made sure the car was checked out with a mechanic. my contract does state "as Is" but i made sure professionals gave me a green light. is that the same thing? and thank you Ms. Koslyn for taking the tim eout to advise me!

Contact your insurance company. Go over to secretary of state (dmv) and they will set everything up for you.

Get insurance for your new car. Take your paperwork to the nearest Secretary of State's office or currency exchange and get plates and see to the transfer of registration. You will probably have to show proof of insurance. Congratulations on your new purchase.

Ms. Goldstein, thank you for taking the time out to to answer my question :) will i need to take the owner to the currency exchange for confirmation in front of the currency exchange when i have the signed title ? or can i present this to the currency exchange with the owner's signed title?

Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

I do not believe the currency exchange will require the former owner to come. You can always call ahead and ask. If you found my answer helpful, please indicate that.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business