I have car title , now what?

Chicago, IL |

im closing a sale of me purchasing a car from a family friend. now that they have signed over the title to me, now what? do i have the car registered at the DMV? what is the next step to assure everything is my my name regarding license plates etc....

1. Register
    Get plates
    Notify Sec. of State on title
    Insurance
    Garage the car
    Get gas.

2. Is there an "as is" contract in writing that says they're not responsible for problems, or is there a warranty saying they are? It's not clear that you're even using a written contract here. What about a release of liability from them?

See a business lawyer for help, since this is a big transaction.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

3. Contact your insurance company. Go over to secretary of state (dmv) and they will set everything up for you.

4. Get insurance for your new car. Take your paperwork to the nearest Secretary of State's office or currency exchange and get plates and see to the transfer of registration. You will probably have to show proof of insurance. Congratulations on your new purchase.