I have bench warrant for probation violation. I want to turn myself in what is going to happen?

Asked 5 months ago - Des Moines, IA

I had a bench warrant for probation violation. I got a theft 4th charge when I was 17 they charged me as an adult and I got a deffered judgement but I missed a court date because I didn't have a ride. I would be what they consider a flight risk but I have honestly changed. I got a job and I just don't want to lose what I have now worked so hard for I have over 120$ saved up for my fines and I have $840 worth of fines. I just don't want to do probation anymore. I don't know what to do about it. I don't know want to do about it.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Colin Christopher Murphy

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . You should surrender to authorities. It will be better for you that you turned yourself in. Work toward preserving the deferred. You will be grateful in the long run to have the matter expunged from your criminal record
    Be prepared to argue that you should be held in contempt of court instead of having your probation revoked. Some time in jail is a small consequence to having a theft conviction on your permanent record. Hire a lawyer to help you stay on probation and keep the deferred.

  2. John Owen Moeller


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . If you pay the amount owing or have cash bond in amount owing you might be released.
    If you have money owing and a paid attorney you might save your deferred.
    Otherwise , you are likely to sit in jail.
    There are customary ways to handle these cases. Any good local attorney knows them. You haven't asked for community service. You have absconded for an unidentified time. What do you think the court will do- treat you more favorably than the persons who paid their fine and did what they were supposed to do when they were supposed to do it? Hire an attorney.

  3. Anthony Bettencourt Cameron

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . I'm going to differ a little from my colleagues. Go engage a lawyer BEFORE you turn yourself in. She may be able to negotiate exactly what you want. The one thing you and the state can agree on is that you were not a delightful probationer.

  4. Dana B. Carron


    Contributor Level 13

    Answered . Request a lawyer when you go to court if you cannot afford one beforehand. Discuss the matter with them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,984 answers this week

3,119 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,984 answers this week

3,119 attorneys answering