I have been wrongfully billed by a cable company and my credit has been ruined, should I sue?

Asked 12 months ago - Spring, TX

The cable company shows that I cancelled service in April 2010. They continued to bill me for a year, even as I tried to stop them. The company now admits it was a billing error, but also says they can not remove it. Since the money was not collected, my credit has been destroyed.

Additional information

I have proof of residence change from the Post Office, and also a letter from the landlord saying the date I moved. During my struggle to settle things over the phone, I was told twice that I would be sent a fraud packet. Their system shows those transactions were cancelled because technically it wasn't fraud, it was an error.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Gary D. Bollinger


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I suggest you consult with a FCRA attorney.

  2. Michael Glynn Busby Jr.


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . If you applied for credit and your credit has been impacted such that you were denied because of this event, then you have a cause of action against the company. Gather all of your papers and go see a consumer attorney. I am open today until 4 p.m.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now