I have been working 2 yrs for a doctor that owns his business. He has been sexually harassing me...Can I sue him for monetary?

Asked over 1 year ago - Birmingham, MI

He has pulled me into his office on a few occasions, blocked the door with his foot, forcefully kissed me, put his mouth on my breast while holding my arms, pulled me onto his lap, pushed me up against the wall and put his hands on my rear. Told me if I wanted my vacation, what was in it for him, text messages wanting me to meet him, I have told him to stop, I have told him I'm uncomfortable and do not want to work under these conditions and all he said was, "I'm sorry you feel this way" etc.....I have everything documented from day one. The office manager whom is under him bully's me so I could never go to her. I probably have 4 office witness's of him calling me to his office. He is very successful and this could be a huge problem for him if I pursued it. I'm depressed, & embarrassed...

He didn't forcefully "pull" me into the office, I mean', he would call me in there saying he needed to discuss work issues. There are only maybe 8 employees, in this office.

1. Jason Matthew Shinn

4

Answered . First, I can certainly understand your frustration in having to work in an environment and under the conditions you've described. You certainly should not have to endure either and there are legal protections available to individuals like yourself. Accordingly, you should definitely discuss your matter with an experienced employment attorney about your options and remedies, which could include monetary damages.

Based on the information you provided, there are of claims likely available to you. For more information about these claims, see the link below from an article I published on Sexual Harassment Legal issues. I hope this helps.

2. Timothy J. Klisz

Pro

2

Answered . It sounds like a classic sexual harassment / hostile work environment case. You should never put up with it. Contact an attorney here on AVVO to discuss the matter in detail.

3. James M. Osak

1

Answered . Take a digital tape recorder to work with you
    and try to "record" this romeo. Then you'll have
    some legitimate evidence to "nail" this weasel with.
    Don't count on co-workers. They're protecting their
    jobs number one. Good luck!

4. Celia R Reed

1

Answered . I agree with my colleague. Document as much as you can and consult with an employment attorney. In addition, check if your firm has an employee handbook and a sexual harassment policy. Copy these provisions for your attorney.