I have been trying to get a Divorce and I was told that mine is complected. Help

Oroville, CA |

I got away from a Domestic violence marriage over 26 years ago. Now that my kids are all grown up I have tried to file for a divorce. But I was told that is would be costly because my husband is a ex-con and a transit. Again I have had to contact with him for over 26 years. Why it is so hard to get a divorce. HELP ME PLEASE. I really want to cut this bad string so I can't be help liable for all his wrong doings.

1. I do not see why such a divorce would be expensive.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

2. Contact a local lawyer in your area. This does not sound complicated.

None of the information on this site constitutes legal advice. It is an ad for attorney services. The attorneys at DeDecker & Meltzer are licensed attorneys in the state of California. The information is intended to be general in nature as there are many laws and regulations not mentioned on this site that may apply to your situation. No attorney-client relationship is created between you and the Law Office of DeDecker & Meltzer unless a signed written fee agreement exists. You should not rely or act upon the information provided on this site without seeking the advice from an attorney.

3. I'm glad to hear you've gotten out of an abusive relationship. That can certainly be difficult. As far as divorce goes, though, the facts you've provided don't explain why a divorce will be complicated. Perhaps service would be a challenge, but not the divorce as a whole.

Consider scheduling a consultation with an attorney, so that you can more fully explain the difficulties you are having and why the matter is complicated. Good luck to you.

4. Did you mean transient?
    The difficulty may be in finding him. If that's the complicated part, it's because there is an obligation to serve him with the summons and petition for divorce. If you are unable to locate him, and you have no means of locating him (such as through relatives or your children) you can ask the court to allow you to publish the summons and petition in the newspaper to effect service. This can be costly, but there are papers that have some reasonable options to make this happen. You can also ask the court for a cost waiver to waive the court filing fees. This won't avoid the cost of publishing the summons and petition, but may save you the court costs if you are unable to afford them. Find someone local, and good luck!