I have been trying to get a Divorce and I was told that mine is complected. Help

Asked over 1 year ago - Oroville, CA

I got away from a Domestic violence marriage over 26 years ago. Now that my kids are all grown up I have tried to file for a divorce. But I was told that is would be costly because my husband is a ex-con and a transit. Again I have had to contact with him for over 26 years. Why it is so hard to get a divorce. HELP ME PLEASE. I really want to cut this bad string so I can't be help liable for all his wrong doings.

1. Ross Carlton Meltzer

2

Answered . Contact a local lawyer in your area. This does not sound complicated.

2. Morgan Laine Place

Pro

1

Answered . I'm glad to hear you've gotten out of an abusive relationship. That can certainly be difficult. As far as divorce goes, though, the facts you've provided don't explain why a divorce will be complicated. Perhaps service would be a challenge, but not the divorce as a whole.

Consider scheduling a consultation with an attorney, so that you can more fully explain the difficulties you are having and why the matter is complicated. Good luck to you.

3. Kristi D Rothschild

1

Answered . Did you mean transient?
    The difficulty may be in finding him. If that's the complicated part, it's because there is an obligation to serve him with the summons and petition for divorce. If you are unable to locate him, and you have no means of locating him (such as through relatives or your children) you can ask the court to allow you to publish the summons and petition in the newspaper to effect service. This can be costly, but there are papers that have some reasonable options to make this happen. You can also ask the court for a cost waiver to waive the court filing fees. This won't avoid the cost of publishing the summons and petition, but may save you the court costs if you are unable to afford them. Find someone local, and good luck!

4. Henry Lebensbaum

1

Answered . I do not see why such a divorce would be expensive.

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.