I have been told that I am a suspect in a robbery -petty theft-the police are looking for me. What should I so. I am not guilty

Asked over 1 year ago - Panama City, FL

I went to a mainframes to so laundry. I bought quarters from an attendant. A wanted poster was pit with my picture another customer gave the cops my name I have been told they have video of me reaching into the till. I am 55 with no criminal record. I am also nearly blind. I just want to know what to do

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Don Waggoner

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Everyone is going to tell you to talk to as an attorney, but you probably don't have the money for one. So, I am going to tell you to you talk to the cops. But, when you do, tell them you want to talk to them, but you want to talk to an attorney first and ask for them to get you a public defender. They marry arrest you, but otherwise your just going to be waiting for them to come get you.

  2. Gray Richard Proctor


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Kudos to Don for candor. Remember to tell the cops you want to talk to an attorney, not them. Be clear and don't say anything else.

    Answers are for informational purposes, not legal advice for your specific situation. www.appealsandhabeas.com
  3. Stanley Eugene Peacock

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I suggest you contact an experienced criminal defense attorney and tell him/her what happened. Do NOT talk to any law enforcement officers and do NOT make any statements to the laundry workers/owners or customers about anything. If law enforcement officers try to question you, simply say, " I want to talk to an attorney," and then remain silent.

    These comments are not to be construed as legal advice and are not attorney-client privileged. I suggest you... more
  4. Frank Mascagni III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You need to contact a criminal defense attorney in your area ASAP and they will contact the police on your behalf. Make no statements to the police, let your attorney speak for you. Good luck.

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,433 answers this week

3,196 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,433 answers this week

3,196 attorneys answering