I have been terminated from my job 4 months ago, do i still have a chance to fight it ?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dearborn, MI

i been accused of stealing and when i wanted to fight it with the corporate, i got terminated for job abandonment. the reason of my delay on this case, for I'm inexperienced with such legal matter and have been searching for a lawyer.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Marc Aaron Asch

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Do you believe that absenteeism and/or a belief that you stole are the true reason(s) you were terminated? Or do you believe there is another reason you were terminated? Do you have an employee handbook or contract with the employer?
    A lawyer would need answers to these questions before he or she could advise you.

  2. James M. Osak

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Contact an employment attorney ASAP!
    Time is running out (statute of limitations)
    on any legal claims you might have against
    the company. Good luck!
    See: www.contingencyattorneymi.com

  3. Nancy Katherine Chinonis

    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . In Michigan an employer can terminate you for any reason or no reason, unless you have a just cause employment contract or if you are a union employee. Given the current status of the law, there are very limited instances when an employee can sue for wrongful termination. If you believe that you were terminated based on race, sex, gender, health status, religion, or age, you should contact an employment attorney as soon as possible. The statute of limitations for filing a discrimination claim is 3 years, so you are not too late. An employer is also prohibited from firing you if you report a violation of law to a public body. That type of claim would be under the Michigan Whistleblower's Protection Act. However, the statute of limitations on a WPA claim is 90 days. If you were fired 4 months ago, it's too late to file a lawsuit.

    If you are a member of a union and you have not grieved your termination, you need to speak with your union steward ASAP.

    This information and advice cannot be taken literally and should be used as only informational. The information... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,381 answers this week

3,341 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,381 answers this week

3,341 attorneys answering