Skip to main content

I have been sued and they are asking more than my coverage.

Dallas, TX |

I have been sued and they are asking more than my coverage. My insurance co is taking care of my case but they said we might have to hire the another lawyer myself. Do I have to hire the lawyer ? 2 people were not serious injured at the time but one person has pre-existing condition for neck or back so my insurance co not paid. The other one was fine but they sued me for 250k ea.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 7


You may be liable for any amount over the limit and yes you do need to probably get your own attorney. Consult local civil defense attorneys. You may have to spend 10-20 so you wont have to spend an extra 75 plus. Risk management. Sometimes you need lawyers to watch lawyers.

John Gus Zgourides

John Gus Zgourides


Maybe fees will be significantly less than $10,000 - $20,000. It depends. Also, excess exposure could far exceed $75,000. Texas requires only $30,000 per person in liability coverage and these plaintiffs for $250,000 each. $440,000 sounds like the current excess exposure. John Zgourides Board Certified - Personal Injury Trial Law Texas Board of Legal Specialization (713) 876-7001


Retaining independent counsel would be prudent to protect your interests and assets


Your own auto insurance company has a duty to attempt in good faith to settle within the policy limit. But, it is in your own best interest to consult with your own attorney to the extent that actual liability does exceed your coverage. Talk to the claims adjuster to find out what all the medical records indicate, get copies, and at least consult with your own attorney. See 'Legal Defense', section 3 in the article linked below:

Law Offices of Andrew D. Myers, North Andover, MA & Derry, NH provide answers for informational purposes only. Actual legal advice can only be given by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction, thoroughly familiar with the area of the law in which your concern lies. This creates no attorney-client relationship.


Texas Rule of Civil Procedure 47 was recently amended to require plaintiffs to allege a specific amount. Cases usually settle within policy limits unless there are extreme circumstances.

It is ALWAYS best to have personal counsel to monitor insurer-retained defense counsel. You can decide how much monitoring you will pay for. The jnsurer's lawyer does the heavy lifting in most instances. Your personal lawyer makes sure you are getting the legal services you paid for with your premium dollars, helps you find other coverage and/or potentialy responsible parties, and may also steer the insurer and plaintiffs to settle the case within your policy limits.

I serve as personal counsel in these cases. An initial phone interview is offered at no charge.

John Zgourides
(713) 876-7001

Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services. See for more information.


It is the duty of the insurance company to warn you about excess coverage. The chances of a judgement exceeding your limits is highly unlikely, but it is possible. I won't recommend you do any more until the case is in litigation and then a second opinion from independent counsel should be considered.


I get many questions like this. So many, that I actually wrote two articles that touch on the issue you raise in your question.

Robert C. Slim

Robert C. Slim


It might be worth it to you to consult with a local attorney about your particular situation. A lawyer in Dallas may be familiar with the other attorneys and be able to give you some practical advice.


Without knowing more about the facts in your incident, it is difficult to advise you. You probably should write to your insurance company, keeping a copy for your records, advising them if you were negligent in causing the damages and, if so, urge them to settle the claims within the limit of your coverage. If they fail to resolve the claims within your policy limit and you are subjected to an excess verdict, you may have a bad faith claim against your carrier if you are hit with an excess judgment.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Get Avvo’s 3-part personal injury email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

Personal injury topics

Recommended articles about Personal injury

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer