Skip to main content

I have been subpoenad so testify in a criminal case as a witness.

Nashville, TN |

I am moving thousands of miles away to another state !

Will I have to come back and if for my expenses?
What If I fly back and the case is postponed and then postponed again as I hear can happen?

State case minor felony (by my opinion)

Attorney Answers 3

  1. The State will have to pay your travel expenses. Contact the DA that is handling the case and talk to them to see if they wish to proceed without you or pay for your travel, food and hotel.

    Claiborne H. Ferguson, Esq. is * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the Tennessee Commission on Continuing Legal Education and Specialization.

  2. The State has to pay your expenses but you need to ask the DA if they are going to use you.

    "Nothing in this communication is meant to establish an attorney-client relationship. The information is provided for educational purposes only. No action will be taken on your behalf unless you have have hired me and entered into a written retainer agreement. I am only licensed in Tennessee and I suggest contacting an attorney in your specific city and state as soon as possible to avoid any statute of limitations deadlines, if applicable."

  3. More than likely the case will probably settle before the trial date. There is also a possibility that since you live so far away ,the state can find a way to not have to use you. However if none of the above happen, I think the state will pay your expenses to be here to testify.They will also make the case a priority date so it will definitely go on the first trial date because you traveled from so far away. In other words there wont be a continuance of the trial date. I would immediately call the prosecutors office and talk to the assistant district attorney handling the case and let them know you no longer live in Nashville and how inconvient it will be for you to make it to the trial. However, if they need you ,you will have to show up to avoid possible contempt of court charges. Good luck

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics