I have been sexually harassed by a teacher, yet the school has refused to tell me how they handled it. Is it legal for them?

The teacher made inappropriate and sexual comments about my blouse. There were students who claimed that he did make those comments. Yet, the principal simply said that the students had a history of lying so he cannot believe them. The teacher still works at the school and the school refuses to tell me or my parents how they handled the situation. Is that legal?

Closter, NJ -

Allan E Richardson

Allan E Richardson

Employment / Labor Attorney - Woodbury, NJ

Your parents need to stop trying to deal with the school board and invest in a consultation with a lawyer experienced in harassment and discrimination cases. Your best bet is an employment lawyer, because most incidents of sexual harassment occur in the workplace and they handle these issues routinely. Good luck.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Personal Injury Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

More facts are needed to evaluate. Have a local Closter sexual harassment lawyer investigate.

Benjamin G Kelsen

Benjamin G Kelsen

Criminal Defense Attorney - Teaneck, NJ

I am unclear from your statement if the teacher actually made the comments or if the other students told you that they were made. Please feel free to have your parents contact me directly to discuss the matter.

Kevin Rindler Madison

Kevin Rindler Madison

Sexual Harassment Attorney - Lakeway, TX

Your parents would be wise to consult with an attorney familiar with school/education law and after a thorough review of all of the facts then he or she can give you some legal advice. If the principal is not doing anything about this teacher and the teacher made these statements it probably needs to go up to the next level- school board or school superintendent.

Related Advice